Category: Development and Project Management, Environment and Natural Resource, Energy
Location: Addis Ababa
Career Level: Senior Level (5+ years experience)
Employment Type: Full time
Salary: As per GIZ scale
Application deadline: February 20, 2020
Green Peoples Energy for Africa (GPE) Program
As an international cooperation enterprise for sustainable development with worldwide operations, the federally owned Deutsche Gesellschaft für Internationale Zusammenarbeit (GIZ) GmbH supports the German Government in achieving its development policy objectives. GIZ promotes complex reforms and change processes. In Ethiopia, GIZ has been working for more than 40 years in bilateral cooperation on behalf of the German Federal Ministry for Economic Cooperation and Development (BMZ) and on the commission of the Ethiopian Government and other international donors.
For the Federal Ministry for Economic Cooperation and Development (BMZ), GIZ is implementing the global project “Green Peoples Energy for Africa” – GPE. The initiative is part of the “Marshall Plan with Africa” and supports the development of decentralized renewable energy systems in rural regions of Africa with the involvement of citizens, municipal structures, cooperatives and companies. The project aims to improve the conditions for decentralized energy supply in selected countries in Sub-Saharan Africa with the participation of citizens and businesses.Main Responsibilities:
- Technical planning, coordination, implementation and content supervision of the component’s output areas under the Green People’s Energy Ethiopia project (hereinafter GPE):
- Small Project Fund (GPE output area 1)
- Use of Energy for Production and Social Institutions (GPE output area 3)
- Investment promotion (GPE output area 4)
- Technical coordination and content supervision of the component’s team members as well as external consultants and other service providers hired for the implementation.
- Technical advisory on the development of Productive Use of Energy (hereinafter PUE) business identification, PUE trainings and PUE business development measures.
- Identifying and compiling (co-) financing mechanisms and opportunities and developing results-based-financing (RBF) mechanisms for promoting PUE under the component’s activities.
- Technical advisory of public-, private- and other stakeholders relevant for the component’s activities.
- Support of the component’s team members as well as external consultants and other service providers hired for the implementation.
- General support of the planning and implementation of the Green People’s Energy Ethiopia project (hereinafter GPE).
- Contribution to monitoring, evaluation and knowledge management of all relevant activities within his/her component.
Advising the partner institutions
- Consults routinely with – and reports to the GPE project manager regarding all component’s activities.
- Coordinate and collaborate closely with relevant federal, regional and local government agencies, microfinance institutions (MFIs) and other financial service providers as well as with public and private business development service providers.
- Coordinates and supervises the work of external contractors and service providers and gives feedback on their performance.
- Undertakes duties in consultation and collaboration with his/her GPE project manager, relevant other GIZ projects (such as EnDev) and partner institutions to ensure smooth communication and knowledge exchange.
- Establishes and entertains relevant networks between key stakeholders relevant for the above activities.
- Liaises GPE with relevant institutions (public, private, national, international, NGOs/CSOs) and represents GPE in meetings, workshops and conferences and other events in consultation with the GPE project manager.
Management, Coordination, Cooperation and Leadership
- Content supervision of personnel and infrastructure of the areas of activity she/he is entrusted with and provides guidance to her/his team members and subordinates.
- Represents the interests and always acts on behalf of the GIZ GPE Ethiopia
- Technically coordinate, supervise content of the team of experts.
- Coordinate the component’s planning, implementation and reporting in output areas 1 (Small Project Fund), 3 (Use of Energy for Production and Social Institutions) and 4 (Investment Promotion) of GPE.
- Provide guidance and decision-making to all component staff whenever needed.
- Reports regularly and ad-hoc to the GPE project manager about the component’s progress, achievements and challenges.
- Supports the strategic, conceptional and operational planning and steering of the GPE project.
- Ensure the use of office and transport facilities in accordance with the agreement on the use of facilities
- Oversees the budget for key events, activities, periods and related financial documentation in his/her component in consultation with her/his project manager.
Required qualifications, experiences and competences:
- Master degree in political science, energy-related studies, engineering, economics, rural development or a related field.
- Ability to see the broader picture and sector linkages, and Up-to-date with recent policy developments in both the energy sector and other sectors.
- Excellent conceptual, organizational, moderation, presentation and communication skills, and confidence to present the project, are vital for the position;
- Minimum of 7 years work experience in productive use of energy, business development and/or investment promotion.
- Extensive knowledge and understanding of rural electrification issues, rural development and rural business promotion in relation with modern energy access.
- Extensive experience in technical and financial project management.
- Extensive work experience with the Ethiopian private sector, preferably in the renewable energy field.
- Proven team leader experience
- Proven project management experience and ability to conduct technical and financial planning of operations.
Other knowledge, additional competences
- Ability to work in a team with minimum of instructions
- Excellent skills in strategy- and concept development.
- Excellent skills in compiling and presenting information in an appealing and concise manner.
- Excellent oral and written communication and presentation skills.
- Written and oral fluency in English is a must. Other languages (German, Amharic) is an added advantage.
- Very good working knowledge of standard ICT applications of MS Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook) and willingness to obtain proficiency in GIZ-specific applications (MS Teams, OneDrive, OneNote, IDA)
- Readiness to undertake business travels to remote rural areas on an occasional base.
Interested and qualified candidates shall submit their motivation letter along with their non-returnable recent CV via Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Note: – Please make sure you mention the Vacancy Number ‘028/2020”in the subject line of your email application. Due to large number of applications we categorize applications with the vacancy numbers.
Applications without vacancy numbers in subject lines might not be categorized in the appropriate folder and could be disqualified.
Only short-listed candidates will be contacted