Category: Media and Journalism, Communications, PR and Journalism
Location: Addis Ababa
Employment Type: Full time
Salary: ETB 18,835.21
Application Deadline: August 7, 2019
Main purpose of job:
To take on the creation, editing, publishing of digital content for the British Embassy’s digital media. Be responsible for reviewing statistics of social media engagement, and keeping a constant overview and response to social media engagement. Further, to drive forward and input into the Embassy’s digital communications strategy.
Roles and responsibilities:
The UK’s Embassy in Addis Ababa is one of our largest in Africa, Ethiopia is becoming ever more important as a country with which the UK wishes to engage.
We use digital communications to engage with target audiences on global and local issues including international politics, climate change, media freedom, global trade, and providing support for British nationals abroad. In all cases the role of the Digital Communications Officer is key to identifying and reaching those audiences through a data-driven understanding of the digital landscape and the ability to deliver high-quality, engaging and relevant digital content.
This is a fast-paced job, with no two days the same, in a team environment that encourages creativity and innovation and will give you a chance to really exercise your video, graphic design and copywriting skills.
- Work closely with Embassy colleagues to understand the top objectives and audiences across teams, then develop and implement our digital strategy and local communication campaigns, working with partner organisations where appropriate.
- Input into and manage channel strategies for all local social media channels to ensure our channels are working to reach and engage with the right target audiences in support of specific policy objectives
- Produce, publish and amplify high quality digital content in support of UK priorities, ensuring all content published to our channels is engaging and impactful, of the highest quality, and adheres to UK Government social media guidelines.
- Work with embassy colleagues and the government departments in London to ensure all digital channels are used effectively to react and respond to live global and local events, including crisis situations and to promote global initiatives and campaigns in country.
- Use data-driven analysis and evaluation to demonstrate the impact of digital campaign and communications work and apply that learning to future activities
- Oversee the creation of digital content commissioned through 3rd party providers for our digital channels.
- Be responsible for all reputational aspects of our online persona ensuring all output adheres to UK Government codes of conduct and our engagement with members of the public, particularly British Nationals in need of assistance, is exemplary at all times
- Work with colleagues across the network to embed social and digital media awareness and understanding within other teams, including best use of tools like Twitter, Instagram, Facebook, video, photography and infographics.
- Generate ideas for digital content, create content and edit/produce engaging digital media products in line with UK social media plans.
Essential qualifications, skills and experience
- At least 5 years’ working experience.
- Fluent English and Amharic (both spoken and written) are essential.
- Other Ethiopian languages are a significant advantage.
Desirable qualifications, skills and experience
- Experience of working in or with Ethiopian Government agencies.
- Experience working with international organisations.
- Making Effective Decisions
- Leading and Communicating
- Collaborating and Partnering
- Delivering at pace
Other benefits and conditions of employment
Learning and development opportunities (and any specific training courses to be completed):
The successful candidate will get access to a range of learning and development opportunities, including on the job training and workshops. They will also be able to benefit from the wide range of training run by the British Embassy including on management and leadership, cross-cultural communication, and understanding the UK.
The standard working hours of the British Embassy for office staff are 0800-1645 Monday-Thursday and 0800-1300 on Fridays.
The job-holder will be required to travel regularly.Additional information
Annual Leave and Public Holidays:
Locally engaged staff of all grades will be entitled to paid annual leave as follows:
Up to 2 years 22 days
After 2 years services 25 days
After 5 years services 30 days
In addition to annual leave, the British Embassy observes up to a maximum number of 14 Ethiopian, British and Religious public holidays each year. A list of such Embassy holidays will be published each year. Office Staff required to work on these holidays will be granted time off in lieu or overtime where circumstances permit.
- Please complete the application form in full as the information provided is used during screening.
- Please check your application carefully before you submit, as no changes can be made once submitted.
- The British Embassy will never request any payment or fees to apply for a position.
- Employees recruited locally by the British Embassy in Addis Ababa are subject to Terms and Conditions of Service according to local employment law in Ethiopia.
- All candidates must be legally able to work and reside in the country of the vacancy with the correct visa/work permit status or demonstrate eligibility to obtain the relevant permit. The responsibility lies on the successful candidate to
- Obtain the relevant permit
- Pay the fees for the permit
- Make arrangements to relocate
- Meet the costs to relocation
- Employees who are not eligible to pay local income tax: e.g. certain third-country nationals and spouses/partners of UK diplomats will have their salaries abated by an equivalent amount.
- Information about the Foreign and Commonwealth Office Competency Framework can be found on this link: www.yenejobs.com Please note: Job grade AA=A1, AO=A2, EO=B3, HEO=C4, SEO=C5
- Reference checking and security clearances will be conducted on successful candidates.
- Please log into your profile on the application system on a regular basis to review the status of your application
HOW TO APPLY
To apply for this position please follow the instruction HERE and submit your application before August 7, 2019.