Category: Development and Project Management
Location: Addis Ababa
Career Level: Senior Level (5+ years experience)
Employment Type: Contract
Application deadline: February 18, 2020
The Danish Refugee Council (DRC), an international non-governmental organization (NGO), has been providing relief and development services in the Horn of Africa since 1997. DRC promotes and supports solutions to the problems faced by refugees, internally displaced people (IDPs), and migrants. The organization has offices across the region, and has been operational in Ethiopia since 2009. With funding from bilateral and multilateral donors, DRC is currently implementing a range of activities across Ethiopia and Djibouti, including WASH and shelter provision, child and youth protection, gender based violence response, awareness-raising of migration risks, protection monitoring of migration routes, and livelihoods support for returning migrants or those at-risk of migration.
OVERALL PURPOSE OF THE ROLE:
The Reporting and Communications Specialist will coordinate and manage internal and external communications with a substantial focus on donor reporting for DRC Ethiopia and Djibouti projects. The specialist will make sure all DRC Ethiopia and Djibouti grants’ reporting run smoothly and successfully by providing continues support on report preparation, communication and documentation. The Reporting and Communication Specialist will lead efforts to quality and timely donor reporting and increase visibility of DRC’s programs by soliciting, organizing and archiving information to produce or review reports, communication products, briefing materials, etc.
The Reporting and Communication Specialist will report to the Grants Management Coordinator and work closely with the grants team, field and/or project teams, MEAL team, finance team and with other relevant DRC senior staffs (Country Program Coordinator, Head of Programs and Country Director) to provide regular support and guidance through reporting, communication and documentation for effective grant management and overall country program.
RESPONSIBILITIES AND TASKS
- lead the high quality and timely writing and submission of donor and internal reports in collaboration with the relevant project and finance teams
- Ensure compliance with internal and donor reporting guidelines and requirements for all DRC Ethiopia/Djibouti grants
- Take the lead and work with project teams from DRC, partners or sub-grantee organizations, as well as internal and external staffs for timely collection of drafts, review and seek for genuine inputs and final sign off from the relevant staff before submission
- Centrally manage the production of regular reports on the overall organization’s works for DRC Ethiopia and Djibouti grants
- Identify gaps and provide capacity building training to project/field teams on quality reporting and communication for better and smooth grants management
- Ensure compliance with all contract requirements (including branding and marking) that relate to reporting (such as the Quarterly, Annual and Final Reports) and prepare brief program statements for internal use describing connections between implementation and results before submission to Donors
- establish key administrative system for reporting processes to fulfil DRC’s internal and donor accountability and compliance requirements.
- develop and/or ensure implementation of internal and external communications standards, guidelines, processes and protocols for DRC Ethiopia and Djibouti programs
- Set up mechanisms to systematically receive and compile relevant information on a project in a timely manner
- Lead the development and implementation of a communication and visibility plan in line with internal and donor guidelines for DRC Ethiopia and Djibouti programs
- support the organization’s visibility and communication activities in collaboration with MEAL team, area offices and project teams in DRC Ethiopia and Djibouti programs
- develop communication materials and products to support grant activities including the development of project summaries, fact sheets, grant agreement cheat sheets, brief donor regulations, etc. to make the information available, accurate and timely
- Create social media contents which include presentations, brochures, articles, updated notes, blog posts related to DRC Ethiopia and Djibouti programs’ and regularly update DRC’s website and its social media
- Lead or support partners or consortium members to proactively prepare for communication needs to contribute to overall better information flow among partners
- Proactively seek out interesting stories from programs initiating and accompanying field visits to collect high quality photos and possibly audio video material suitable for use
- Manage distribution process of communications material so the right information gets to the right audiences at the right time.
- Stay informed of all major issues in the DRC Ethiopia and Djibouti programs, strategies and activities, results and achievements, and on best practices, lessons learned and success stories so that project communication is rich, diverse and well grounded
Others (10%): –
- ensure that DRC’s grant management system (Dynamics) is up-to-date with reports, communication materials and ensure all essential project documents are uploaded properly and timely
- follow up and ensure availability of hardcopy and soft copy documentation on Dynamics for all project reports and communication materials
- Support the development and provision of notes/briefings to external bodies requesting information on DRC Ethiopia and Djibouti project activities.
- Support the senior management in organizing and facilitating organization level meetings, workshops, trainings, etc. internally, with external stakeholders and partners
- Participate in external meetings/workshops by representing DRC as needed
- Work closely with grants, program, finance and field teams to gather timely information for grants management administrative tasks.
- Work with the Grants Management Coordinator in organizing project kick-off and close-out meetings and ensure proper communication of the events
- Other relevant duties as directed by the line manager.
Experience and technical competencies: (include years of experience)
- Master’s degree from a recognized university in social sciences, preferably in Communication and Journalism, Development Studies, Social Work, Sociology or other relevant field with at least three years of relevant work experience; or Bachelor’s degree in a relevant field and minimum of five years of relevant work experience,
- At least three (3) years of INGO experience, of which at least two (2) years’ experience directly on reporting and communication related to donor grants management
- Work experience in donor reporting, communication, or documentation, ideally for an international humanitarian organization
- Strong analytical, writing, communication and editing skills with the ability to make complex information and data accessible to non-experts.
- Demonstrated ability and experience producing information and visibility materials
- Demonstrated experiences working with grants team, MEAL team and field team working on humanitarian projects
- Proven commitment to accountable practices and knowledgeable of quality assurance systems
- Good communicator and proven diplomacy with all types of stakeholders
- Experience of managing budgets and multiple donor contracts, particularly with EU, ECHO, UNHCR, BRPM, UNICEF, OFDA, DANIDA, etc.
- Fluent and articulate in spoken and written English; and possibly in French
- Ability to work independently, but also coordinate effectively as part of a team.
- Strong/advanced computer skills
- Ability and willingness to work and live in diverse, challenging and potentially unstable environments.
EDUCATION: (include certificates, licenses etc.)
- Master’s degree from a recognized university in social sciences, preferably in Development Studies, Social Work, Sociology, Communication or Journalism or other relevant field with at least two years of relevant work experience; or Bachelor’s degree in a relevant field and minimum of four years of relevant work experience,
LANGUAGE: (indicate fluency level)
- English (proficient in both writing and speaking)
All DRC roles require the post-holder to master DRC’s core competencies:
- Striving for excellence: Focusing on reaching results while ensuring efficient processes.
- Collaborating:Involving relevant parties and encouraging feedback.
- Taking the lead: Taking ownership and initiative while aiming for innovation.
- Communicating: Listening and speaking effectively and honestly.
- Demonstrating integrity:Acting in line with DRC’s vision and values
Interested candidates who meet the required qualifications and experience are invited to submit updated CV and cover letter explaining their motivation and why they are suited for the post.
Please forward the application and CV, in English through the stated website no later than February 18,2020.
For general information about the Danish Refugee Council, please consult www.drc.ngo
Gender Equality: DRC is committed to achieving gender parity in staffing at all levels. In light of this, women candidates are particularly encouraged to apply to bridge the gender gap.
Equal Opportunities: DRC is an equal opportunity employer. We value diversity and we are committed to creating an inclusive environment based on mutual respect for all employees. We do not discriminate on the basis of age, sex, disability status, religion, ethnic origin, colour, race, marital status or other protected characteristicsWe encourage only qualified Ethiopian Nationals to apply. DRC considers all applicants based on merit.